The Mattern Method is a proprietary, detailed and data-driven methodology used to identify business process improvement (BPI), cost reduction, and expense recovery opportunities for law firms and legal departments of every size, specialty, and location. It is a step-by-step road map that delivers strategic solutions that enable your long-term success.
The process is organized into three phases.
Phase I: A Thorough Examination
Mattern observes, interviews, analyzes and crunches the numbers.
- We analyze, observe, and survey / interview to gain an in-depth understanding of your current in-house and outsourced workflows, costs, service levels, headcount, contract terms, and conditions, and client satisfaction rates.
- We compare your processes and data to industry and peer standards / best practices and objectively rate your performance in each area.
- We explore specific ways to bring about improvement and recommend workflow efficiencies that will reduce costs and improve your ability to recover expenses.
- We deliver a detailed, fully customized report and strategic plan that becomes your blueprint for success.
Phase II: Implementation of Approved Recommendations
Mattern not only tells you what to do, we do it.
- We apply the same detail-oriented approach to fulfilling your needs as we did to identifying them.
- We customize a Request for Proposal (RFP) taking into consideration the unique needs, practices and preferences of your business.
- We compare responses, outline the pros and cons of new equipment or suppliers, and provide guidance on logistical issues and implementation.
- We negotiate the new contract ensuring the most competitive pricing and terms on the market.
Phase III: Semi-Annual Reviews & Updates
Mattern maintains your competitive advantage.
- Success in business is a moving target. Mattern ensures your operational advantages by performing semiannual reviews and providing updates to keep your organization and the selected vendor performing at its best.
- We monitor and approve your invoices, review and approve contractual addendums, and analyze the vendor’s operational data to make sure the operation is performing in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
- Our timely evaluations enable insight to any growth or new business driven modifications or additions to your operations or contract.
- Since Mattern’s previous work ensured suppliers’ contracts afforded flexibility and responsiveness, your firm can exercise its right to new equipment, technology or personnel arrangements without having to compromise operational excellence.